Job Listing: Senior Flavor Chemist
Job Title: Senior Flavor Chemist
Reports to: Vice President, Business and Product Development
Duties & Responsibilities:
A technically proficient Flavor Chemist who is able to work directly with customers on key projects and then independently and within a team, to deliver winning flavor creations in a range of sweet and beverage as well as dietary supplement flavor applications.
Primary focus will be developing flavors in response to key account briefs, but a certain time will be spent on internally generated, capability enhancing, proactive and innovative developments as directed by Senior Management, Business Development, and Operations.
While the main focus is on developing flavors for the North American market, development of flavors for the rest of the world is included.
Responsible for managing all aspects of executing on a flavor development brief, which includes the following:
- Create new and innovative flavor profiles that deliver preferred taste for projects assigned by the Business Units and Senior Management.
- Provide guidance to management regarding the required level of technical effort to complete a project.
- Interface with the Virginia Dare sales team and customers, leading technical discussions when the need arises to ensure successful project completion.
- Travel to customers in support of projects when necessary.
- Keep relevant parties informed of project status. This includes but is not limited to senior management, R&D management, Business Unit management, Sales and customers.
- Project turnaround time, accuracy and win rate is critical to success as well as an ability to make independent decisions.
Other responsibilities include the following:
- Participation in the organoleptic evaluation of own and others projects.
- Active participation in taste panels where appropriate.
- Participate in all supplemental tastings of products as needed.
- Remaining current on mainstream and emerging flavor ingredients and flavor regulations including TTB.
- Keep all project stakeholders properly informed of all relevant issues through clear, concise, timely and appropriate updates, both written and verbal.
- Effectively interface with Applications, Supply Chain, Quality Control, Regulatory, Sales and Business Unit Management including effectively advising Quality Control and Production on formulation issues.
- Education: BS required in Food Technology/Science or other related field (such as Chemistry, Biology or Chemical Engineering) with a minimum of 15 years experience as a Flavor Chemist.
- Certified Member of the Society of Flavor Chemist
- Be knowledgeable and current on flavor regulations including TTB.
- Proficient in flavor development in all product areas relevant to Virginia Dare’s business including but not limited to the following areas:
- Extraction, encapsulated flavors, and flavor emulsions.
- Beverages – all types including flavors for alcoholic beverages that meet TTB guidelines and restrictions.
- Shakes, smoothies and other RTD nutritional/functional beverages
- Nutrition Bars
- Gummies and Confections
- Baked goods
- Dairy products
- Able to effectively work with the analytical flavor group using GC/MS and other industry standards for flavor analysis
- Proficient in guiding Applications personnel in the proper use of flavors in finished products.
- Must be organized and be able to deliver accurate results within short time deadlines with limited direction and supervision.
- Able to work effectively independently and with cross functional teams, interfacing with such diverse groups as Supply Chain, Regulatory, Sales and Business Unit Management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products
How to Apply:
Please submit all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should contain “Job Posting Fulfillment—Senior Flavor Chemist” in the title.